A WOMAN watched in shock yesterday as a fire gutted her Cecil Street, Newton Park, home.
Lucette Smith, 42, looked on as firefighters brought the blaze under control at about 3pm.
"Our domestic worker was at home at the time and she phoned me saying that there was smoke coming from my son's room.
"I told her to get out of the house with the dog," she said.
"I then called my husband who alerted the fire department."
Smith said she did know not what had caused the fire or the extent of the damage.
"We haven't looked at it yet, but I can see that the roof over my son's bedroom is gone.
"I am just happy that no one was injured." – Gareth Wilson