THE African National Congress’s (ANC’s) number two in the North West province‚ murder accused China Dodovu‚ said on Wednesday (06/03/2013) that "malicious rumours and a series of threats” were behind his arrest last week.
Speaking publicly for the first time the day after he was released on bail of R20‚000 at the Klerksdorp Magistrate’s Court‚ Mr Dodovu — who is also the local government MEC in the North West — fingered his political opponents in the province as the masterminds behind the charges against him‚ saying the motive was to force a cabinet reshuffle in the North West and block him from rooting out corruption in local municipalities.
"My arrest can only point to an unholy alliance between some ANC leaders‚ the police and the prosecution‚ (and) the desperation (of) a campaign to get me dismissed from the North West provincial executive council by suspending me from the ANC provincial executive committee only serves to vindicate my conviction‚” Mr Dodovu said.
Mr Dodovu was arrested on Monday last week and appeared with seven others for the murder of Obuti Chika‚ the ANC secretary in the North West’s Kenneth Kaunda region‚ who was shot at point-blank range on December 14‚ two days before the Mangaung conference.
The high-profile murder case highlighted the connection between factional infighting for power and positions in ANC structures and the killings of some party members ahead the highly contested ANC national elective conference in Mangaung in December last year.
ANC North West spokesman Kenny Morolong said in a statement on Wednesday that a meeting of the ANC provincial working committee had on Tuesday discussed the "implications” for those involved in the Chika case and will consult with Luthuli House before making a public pronouncement.
Six of the eight accused were granted bail on Tuesday.
Opposing ANC factions — those supporting Mr Dodovu and those against him — had faced off outside court since the proceedings started last week‚ indicating the case was likely to deepen infighting in the North West ANC.
Also granted bail‚ of R10‚000‚ was ANC Youth League North West chairman Papiki Baboile. Mr Baboile said on Wednesday he was shocked that an additional charge — regarding an alleged plot to murder Klerksdorp mayor Michael Khauoe — was added against them.
The police knew who committed this crime and should arrest them‚ Mr Baboile said.
The other four suspects‚ including an ANC councillor and a branch secretary‚ were released for R5‚000.
Two others including the suspected trigger man were denied bail because of other pending criminal charges.
National Prosecuting Authority spokesman in the North West Medupe Simasiku said the case would return to court on April 4 for a progress report on the ongoing investigation. © BDlive 2013