THE bloodshed at St Albans Prison when two of South Africa's most notorious gangs clashed earlier this year was the most horrific warders had seen in almost three decades, the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court heard yesterday.
Assistant director of security at St Albans Suzette Adendorff said an emergency task force had since been deployed to guard the Medium A section, where the violence broke out on January 18.
Adendorff was testifying in the bail application of fraud accused Giel Mans.
Diamond dealer Mans, 35, who was initially denied bail in October last year, was applying for bail on new facts. He said he feared for his life due to the prison riots.
On January 18, members of the 26s and 28s gangs faced off following a dispute over money. Three people were killed, including Mans's cell mate, while more than 50 others were seriously injured.
Mans is accused of faking his own kidnapping to get out of reimbursing angry investors R10-million.
The matter continues tomorrow.
For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition