SEVERAL elderly retirement village residents – already hit hard by rental increases – received another blow yesterday when a power surge blew electrical appliances including TVs, fridges and radios.
Angry residents – some of whom spend half their income on rent – said they would "converge" on Buffelsfontein Retirement Village management today to voice their frustrations about the ongoing electrical fault at the facility.
Doreen Dreyer, 78, who has lived at the village for three years, is among those who lost electrical appliances during the mid-afternoon power failure.
"It's knocked out my TV, my fridge that's a year old, my wireless [radio] which I've had only for about a month and the charger for my cellphone. Luckily not my microwave oven. A year ago we had exactly the same thing, and it took out my fridge," she said.
For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition