THE trial of Olympic and Paralympic running star Oscar Pistorius‚ accused of murdering his model girlfriend‚ will start on March 3 2014 and run until March 23‚ the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court said on Monday (19/08/2013).
The 26-year-old double amputee‚ known as "Blade Runner” for the prostheses he wears in competition‚ fired four shots at Reeva Steenkamp through a bathroom door at his Pretoria home on Valentine’s Day this year.
He also faces a further charge of allegedly contravening the Firearms Control Act, the National Prosecuting Authority said on Monday.
Pistorius claims he was acting in self-defence against what he thought was an intruder.
Mr Pistorius has been out on R1m bail since February 22‚ with some of the bail conditions amended since then.
At the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Monday‚ Mr Pistorius‚ wearing a black suit and navy blue shirt‚ turned his back as photographers tried to take pictures of him. Television crews lined the pavement across the road from the court’s entrance.
Security was tight‚ with 12 police officers and six security guards stationed inside the courtroom.
On June 4‚ prosecutor Andrea Johnson said in court that no details of the investigation would be revealed. She said the state needed more time to investigate the crime. This was by agreement with Mr Pistorius’s defence.
Ms Johnson said the attention generated by Steenkamp’s death was not something the prosecution or the state could control‚ adding that Mr Pistorius’s rights should not be overridden and that he had to be treated like any other person. - Reuters‚ Sapa