TWO little girls who were so horrifically scarred by fire and boiling oil that they lost much of their hair, and then had to undergo several painful operations each, could not wait to show off their new braids yesterday.
There was much giggling and excitement at a Port Elizabeth hair salon where the two were given braids, paid for by the Smile Foundation – and then treated to a party for children whose lives have been changed thanks to facial surgeries.
"There is always hope," said Joyce Phillip of Addo, mother of Thandiswa, 8, who has had at least eight operations to her face and scalp after being burnt by cooking oil when she was three.
"She woke up this morning saying: 'Mommy, I am going to look very pretty this afternoon."
For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition