WESTERN Cape Premier Helen Zille on Friday released the names of members of the African National Congress (ANC) and its youth league whom she alleges have been involved in a spate of faeces attacks and what is termed antisocial behaviour.
Speaking at a press conference‚ Ms Zille said the spate of faeces attacks was clearly well co-ordinated and politically-motivated‚ forming part of the ANC Youth League’s self-declared "ungovernability campaign”.
More than 100 faeces attacks have been recorded across the Western Cape in 2013‚ including the dumping of human waste in front of the provincial legislature and at Cape Town International Airport.
The attacks are part of a series of protests against flush systems being installed in informal and semiformal settlements in the province.
The Western Cape has been providing the portable flush toilets in order to replace the bucket system in informal settlements.
"Ironically‚ these incidents have only highlighted the good delivery that the City of Cape Town is rolling out to communities in need because the attackers have used the human waste contents of storage containers of portable flush toilets after breaking their seals‚” Ms Zille said.
She said the containers were stolen from outside homes‚ where they are collected three times a week for emptying and cleaning.
Ms Zille said these faeces attacks were the latest manifestation of a longstanding threat from the ANC Youth League to make the city and province "ungovernable” in the run-up to the 2014 general elections.
"Whenever the ANC Youth League has announced a new wave of ungovernability tactics‚ a spate of destructive riots has broken out. When the ANC Youth League later announces the suspension of these activities‚ they stop. This cause-and-effect link between the announcement of ANC Youth League intentions and public results tells a clear story‚” she said.
Ms Zille said the people responsible were a handful of agitators who did not speak on behalf of the "community”.
She named 11 ANC members‚ including Andile Lili and Loyiso Nkohla‚ who were part of a group arrested and released on bail earlier in 2013 after emptying portable flush toilet containers on the steps of the Western Cape provincial legislature.
Ms Zille said the information had been handed over to the South African Police Service for investigation.
"What we have is prima facie evidence as the basis for investigation. That is why we have submitted it to the police‚” Ms Zille said.
She said the ANC and its youth league should take swift and meaningful disciplinary action against the identified members involved in the attacks and co-operate with the police in their investigations. © BDlive 2013