MARITZBURG United have threatened to withdraw from a multimillion-rand deal to bring professional soccer to Port Elizabeth next season if the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality does not take a decision by Friday.
The mayoral executive committee failed to meet last week to decide on the matter.
Maritzburg say they need R13-million a year to bring their team to play at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.
Maritzburg’s chairman, Farouk Kadodia, said an agreement should have been signed last week. They were giving the municipality until Friday to decide. They would not be interested in negotiations after that.
Kadodia said Maritzburg were approached by stadium operators Access Management on behalf of the municipality. "We don’t want to be seen by the residents of Port Elizabeth as people who just want to pocket the government or the metro’s funds. Our deal also demands local commercial and vehicle sponsors.”
He said the reason behind the added extras demanded was that the club wanted to promote football with proper tools. They were also looking at establishing academy development and trials programmes.
Municipal sport and recreation portfolio chairman Babalwa Lobishe said a preliminary deal was set to be presented at the mayoral executive committee meeting today.
"Any decision that affects the city has to be done politically. This is a political matter because the ruling party have to approve the Maritzburg deal before we can go out publicly.”
The deal would be considered by the council and the mayor would make the final decision.
"The costs were not discussed on the budget. We need to be given time to apply our minds before we can strike a deal. I don’t think they are the only PSL team and if they want to pull out from the deal, I’m sure we can get another interested team before the season starts.”